Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/common.php on line 103
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 414

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 414

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 96
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2994: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2995: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2996: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2997: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
Gears of War 2 Forums

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm
Welcome to the Gears of War 2 Community Forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you can post Comments / Threads you must first Register with our community. It takes 2 minutes of your time, and will give you access to Member Only content, as well as bring you to an eligible state for our current, and upcoming contests/giveaways.

• Up to date news on Gears of War 2 before we upload to other sites
  • Chat about Gears of War 2 in our brand new Shoutbox for members only!
  • Access special areas in the forum only available to registered members
  • Have a range of new skins to choose from.
  • Finally make friends and have fun discussion all things Gears of War 2!
  • Post and make new threads without being flamed,
  • Post Safe knowing our forums are fully moderated 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
  • Registered members get Credits every time they post! You can use these Credits towards contests and game giveaways!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Register Today!
Disable This Message!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Gamesta COD247 - All Call of Duty, All the Time MW4 Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: A MESSAGE FOR CLIFF BLEZINSKI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:39 pm 
COG Private First Class
COG Private First Class

A message for Cliff Blezinski

Cliff,
I know you probably hear this a lot, but I’m probably one of the biggest Gears of War fans(Gears of War 1, anyways). I’ve been looking forward to Gears of War 2 ever since you announced it was on its way (I remember you were holding a sweet lancer replica that was about 3 feet long). Anyways, I just wanted to express my extreme disappointment with the Gears of War 2. Gears of War 1 had its problems but it was a great game. I can’t say the same, at this point in time, for Gears of War 2. There were several complaints about Gears 1 including perhaps the most hotly debated subject, the host advantage. There were also other complaints about abuse of weapons including running straight across the map with shotguns and using the shotgun roll or two piece. There were also a lot of complaints about the sniper rifle active reload one shot downs. These were problems, but the game was still very enjoyable and playable even with these problems.

Now don’t get me wrong, I liked Gears of War 2... until I signed into Xbox Live. Gears 2 has a fantastic campaign (although I didn’t really like that there wasn’t a “real” final boss fight but I can overlook it since the rest of the campaign was well built and fun to play) and the horde mode is tons of fun. The new characters and weapons are welcome although the mortar and mulcher make the game feel more like Halo 3 than it should. The competitive multiplayer is where most of the game’s flaws become painstakingly obvious.

There’s such a long list it’s hard for me to choose where I should start. I guess I’ll go with what I think is the stem of many other problems: the host advantage. God forbid that Epic purchases some servers and hosts the online portion of the game so that everyone can enjoy a fair (and faster) connection. I understand that buying servers and keeping them up can be costly and intensive so I can understand why this game uses this “player host” system. However, I think it would have been appropriate for the Gears 2 programmers to build the game in a way that it can do a quick scan of who, in a room of ten players, has the best download and upload speed and choose him/her as the host. It is obvious that the game doesn’t work like this because more than half the games I’ve played in have had lag to an extent that made those matches virtually unplayable. Hiding the host doesn’t make the problem go away Cliff, it just makes the problem more aggravating than ever.

My next gripe about the game is the multiplayer public voting system. I understand you want people to venture into the many layers of the game by playing different game modes on different maps. But not everybody wants to do this. Some people like to play on one or two maps and with one or two specific game modes only. Taking away the ability for someone to host a public game with customizable options is a big no-no in my book. That alone was one of my favorite aspects of Gears of War 1 and I bet there are tons of people that feel the same way about this issue.

Now to get into the gameplay itself... The concussive smoke grenades... Why? Why Cliff, why?! You claimed you wanted to eliminate “shotgun spam” by adding a “stop-run” feature to the game which slows a player down when they are running towards you if they get shot. When I first heard about this, I thought it would extend the game’s capacity by eliminating the shotgun battles and so that people could use their long range weapons more freely. Boy was I wrong. This feature doesn’t work most of the time due to lag issues or directional issues. And now you made the shotgun more powerful than ever. Now rather than trying to sneak up to somebody or working vigorously to close in on somebody, you can now use your shotgun to get extremely easy kills by simply tossing your smoke grenade at the opposing team and then charging over to blast their concussed bodies into smithereens. You made the shotgun more prevalent, instead of less. The smoke grenade concussive blast is perhaps the most annoying weapon I’ve ever seen on a game, most importantly because 10 players on the map all start out with them and within 15 seconds of the round start, everybody is laying on the floor. It totally ruined the game.

Another problem I have with the game is the proximity mines. Certain areas of the multiplayer maps can have grenades planted on them where the grenades are totally concealed unless someone walks by. This is a ridiculously unappealing feature in the multiplayer because it takes absolutely no skill or attentiveness to pick up massive amounts of, what I think are extremely weak, kills with proximity grenades. In Gears 1, grenade chucking and tagging were almost like an art but these proximity wall tags are just too much. With all of the other action going on in a map, it’s just not fun having to scan every stone, brick, wall, and other obstacle in your path to make sure you aren’t going to die from a random proximity explosion.

Now, onward to the sniper rifle... Cliff... c’mon man... What’d you do to this beloved gun? The sniper rifle was perhaps the most highly sought after weapon in the Gears 1. Now when I see one on the ground, I don’t even stop to pick it up. You took out the active reload down which is fine by me... I’m a headshot guy anyways. But with the new “screen-shaking” addition to the game when any explosion goes off, even if distant, or the screen-shaking when you’re being shot, the sniper rifle has gone from a prolific weapon to almost completely useless. The headshot radius for active and non active shots should absolutely be increased for such a hectic game. It is just too hard to get a headshot unless you are playing mindless idiots who stand still outside of cover during a multiplayer match. The sniper is completely useless.

The boomshot... It seems to me that the boomshot radius has been decreased. This doesn’t make sense to me. It’s hard enough to pick up and you only get a couple of shots with it. It should be more powerful. I have yet to see a multiple boomshot kill in over 100 matches. I’m also not sure how I feel about the hip shots (shots taken without holding the left trigger) pointing straight into the ground. What was the purpose of changing that feature? Sometimes things get thick and you end up fighting two or three people in close quarters and you don’t have the convenience to slowly aim at each one of them...

Now for the multiplayer maps themselves... I like that you guys tried to implement environmental hazards into the game but I don’t like them. This is not really a complaint so much, just my opinion and observation. It doesn’t appear to me that the maps were worked very hard on. It seems that, for the most part they were thrown together. I’m not sure what kind of feedback you got from your in-house beta testers but throwing 4 power weapons on a map as small as River is just dumb. Having to keep a look out for boomshot fire, mortar fire, sniper fire, torque-bow fire, proximity mines, and noobs tossing smoke grenades so they can shotgun your limp body all at the same time on a relatively small map is just too much Cliff. All of this madness takes away from any of the tactical elements that were so appealing in the first Gears.

This game has really taken a turn for the worse and it really looks like you tried to “Halo” it up. I am extremely disappointed with the game overall since I bought it for multiplayer more than anything else. It looks like you guys spent too much time on the campaign (which people will play through once or twice) and not nearly enough on the multiplayer (which people will be playing for years). I’m sure you probably won’t even read this message and even if you do, you won’t care about it since you’re too busy rolling in your oversized bathtub filled with millions of dollars. But I just thought you should know you’ve thoroughly disappointed many of your fans, myself included. I can only hope that your team will work hard to fix some of the more prevalent issues of the game and perhaps I will eventually make my way back to it. But for now, I guess I’m off to go play Call of Duty 5.

And please refrain from calling me a newb or accusing me of having a poor internet connection because this certainly isn’t the case. If it was, I wouldn’t have enjoyed Gears of War 1 so much. The problems are with the game itself, not my skill or connection. I still have several thousand kills in Gears 2 and have no problem killing people online but I just am not finding the game enjoyable or requiring much skill in any way.

Sincerely, one of your biggest Gears of War 1 fans,
Mike

[sad.gif]

Post subject: Re: A MESSAGE FOR CLIFF BLEZINSKI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:45 pm 

Impressive yet disappointing. I wouldn't abandon hope this soon though.... the entire multiplayer interface is patchable with a single update..

Other Projects in the making of Mine...
- http://www.WebSkilled.net Owner -
- http://www.AfterHourGaming.com Owner -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:54 am 
COG Staff Sergeant
COG Staff Sergeant

On the topic of the sniper, I COMPLETELY disagree. It is SO much better, its a lot easier to aim and less "nooby" altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:46 pm 
COG Private First Class
COG Private First Class

i disagree with the shotty and sniper comments in all the games ive played with and talked to the ppl in game shotty is horrible now compared to someone running up to u and sawing u down where im shooting them directly in the chest with my shotty, and the sniper i think is great now no longer do i have to go all the way around now just to avoid getting HS i can now just either shoot them so their aim is off or chuck a smoke nade now :D but as of everything else the above post said is true multiplayer is hell right now takes forever to find matches and when i do its a 50% chance its a hell game and is laggy or its a semi good game and kinda laggy but im sure it will all be fixed with a patch and as seeing i play WoW im used to patches lol good luck with fixing a great game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hammer wrote:
On the topic of the sniper, I COMPLETELY disagree. It is SO much better, its a lot easier to aim and less "nooby" altogether.

Believe me it isn't, in Gears 1 the Sniper was the only weapon I used! The Gears 2 sniper is far worse, also I think you get unregistered headshots a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:40 am 
COG Gunnery Sergeant
COG Gunnery Sergeant

I can't say i agree with everything you said but good post nevertheless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:44 am 
COG Staff Sergeant
COG Staff Sergeant

I understand what you say about the Halo 3 connections but GOW2 is on a totally more mature level than Halo. Comparing Halo to Gears is like comparing the Rose Bowl to the Super Bowl. One is a lot bigger and better than the other. There has been some changes that made a little childish but there are new things that totally make up for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 am 
COG Private First Class
COG Private First Class

that is 100% correct everythin that was said was true the shotghun is a joke and the sniper and boom are weaker fair enough the sniper is easier to use but it is still weaker and the public match option is a joke 15 minutes wait to get a game and then 7 minutes game play time ha ha heres what gears 2 should of been everything left the same with host taken out and the lancer made stronger and the new game modes put in as well thats it. they wrecked the game with there stupid ranked matches and stupid decesions to change weapons.
and heres another thing they said the new unreal engine could handle 100's of enemys on screen at once and how many times in the campagin did we see this TWICE !!!! wow way to go other than that it was the same old gears the writers are to be credited for the story but thats it gears 2 make the hardcore gears fan realise just how good gears 1 actually is. heres your to do list cliff get your nerdy goons on this list ASAP.

HERES HOW YOU MAKE GEARS 2 BETTER SO PEOPLE WILL ENJOY PLAYING IT AND STOP COMPLANING

1. BRING RAVEN DOWN BACK
2. MAKE THE BOOM STRONGER
3. BRING BACK THE OLD SHOTGUN
4. MAKE THE WAITING TIMES 1/10TH OF WHAT THEY ARE NOW
5. CHANGE THAT GOD DAMM STUPID SERIOUSLY 2.0 GAMERPICTURE
6. GIVE PLAYERS MORE FREEDOM TO PICK WHAT RANKED MATCHES THEY WANT TO PLAY
7. MORE COG AND LOCUST CHARACHTERS TO CHOOSE FROM
8. FINALLY STOP BLEACHING YOUR TEETH YOU LOOK RIDICLOUS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 pm 
COG Sergeant
COG Sergeant

Most of your points are based on opinion so i see it pointless to even post this. unless they are well known and adressed problems from many gamers and not just one guy whining about how he cant get headshots anymore of course cliff isnt going to read or worry about it.

but i respect your opinion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:21 am 
COG Private First Class
COG Private First Class

some are opinions most are facts.
FACT THE SHOTGUN IS SLOWER AND WEAKER BUT HAS A LONGER RANGE
FACT THE SNIPER IS WEAKER
FACT THE BOOMSHOT IS MUCH WEAKER
FACT HIS TEETH ARE BRIGHTER THAN A GAMMA RAY BURST

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next