Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/common.php on line 103
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 414

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 414

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 96

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/moyer921/gearsofwar2forums.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 96

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2994: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2995: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2996: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2997: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:103)
Gears of War 2 Forums

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 am
Welcome to the Gears of War 2 Community Forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you can post Comments / Threads you must first Register with our community. It takes 2 minutes of your time, and will give you access to Member Only content, as well as bring you to an eligible state for our current, and upcoming contests/giveaways.

• Up to date news on Gears of War 2 before we upload to other sites
  • Chat about Gears of War 2 in our brand new Shoutbox for members only!
  • Access special areas in the forum only available to registered members
  • Have a range of new skins to choose from.
  • Finally make friends and have fun discussion all things Gears of War 2!
  • Post and make new threads without being flamed,
  • Post Safe knowing our forums are fully moderated 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
  • Registered members get Credits every time they post! You can use these Credits towards contests and game giveaways!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Register Today!
Disable This Message!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Gamesta COD247 - All Call of Duty, All the Time MW4 Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: [GUIDE] Using and understanding the Hammerburst
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:42 pm 
COG Master Gunnery Sergeant

Hammerburst Assault Rifle

*****IMPORTANT: The tactics I go over here are in regards to killing your enemies to win, which will be most useful in ELIMINATION gametypes, NOT games like Annex and King of the Hill (unless you have a very tactical team and your job is support.)

This rifle is available as a starting weapon before you begin the match. It is primarily a medium to long range weapon, however there are tactics that can be used in close and short range to replace the shotgun. Many players quickly skip over this gun for the Lancer, but with a little practice, you’ll see why the Hammerburst is so much more versatile than it’s COG counterpart.

Ranges – Range can be described in many intervals, but I’ll take a second to explain how I use it here.
Close – Melee range and slightly beyond.
Short – When it’s impossible for you to get in for a melee, but not far enough to easily escape.
Medium – Able to easily get out of combat, but still maintain control of your shots
Long – Enemies aren’t really a threat at this range, except for snipers and Boomshot users (although it’s pretty easy to avoid a boomshot, almost a full second to react and get into cover without taking any damage).

Firing Modes - The Hammerburst has two distinct firing modes, and to use it effectively you need to understand when to utilize both of them in different situations.

Automatic (Holding the trigger down): This is the most accurate firing mode. I use this at long range to quickly chip away at a target’s health (by long range I mean sniper range) at around 4-5 shots per second. In my tests it seems like the damage is slightly reduced at such a long range, and it takes a bit more than the 7-8 nonactive shots to down an enemy in close/medium range. You should also use this when tracing running targets, or assisting in a kill with a teammate.
Single-Shot (Rapidly pulling the trigger): Firing with this technique provides exponentially faster shots than simply holding the trigger, with bullets leaving the barrel as fast as a human can possibly pull the trigger. (There is a break point. The devs have implemented a cut-off to prevent use of rapid-fire controllers, but don’t worry, you’ll never be able to reach it if you’re playing fair.)
Now, of course this seems like the obvious choice of the two modes, but this one suffers one severe drawback; rapid firing the weapon causes it to kick like a wild animal. Without any control from the player, your last bullet can end up more than 20 degrees from your initial target point. This is where practice comes in. You need to learn to control the kick, keeping your shots landing in a short radius of your initial shot. The Single Shot method should only be used in medium to short/close range, when going for a kill, or as a last ditch effort to down your enemy.
Melee (B button): Not exactly a firing mode, but the Hammerburst’s melee power deserves some credit. Other than the torque bow, it is one of the strongest non-lancer melee weapons in the game.

----------------

Alright, now that you understand the basics of the weapon, let’s go over two basic strategies to use with the Hammerburst, and hopefully eliminate one less Chainsaw Charger in public XBL. [bleh.gif]

Melee Kills / downs: It’s always risky getting in close without the comfort of your I-WIN button (er, I mean chainsaw) but it’s pretty easy to down an enemy in a little over a second, while maintaining the versatility to instantly switch back to ranged combat and providing you with a nice body to absorb enemy shots (yay!).
Now, of course you could pull out your Gnasher and blast your target away with a single pull of the trigger, but by doing this you employ a few variables that can easily get you killed. Things like getting into a shotgun circle-strafing duel *shudder* or getting first hand experience of “host advantage”. Also, if an enemy is firing at you from a distance, after you kill your target (assuming you do) you have A. No meatshield to protect yourself, and B. getting killed because you were unable to switch weapons fast enough to defend yourself.

But none of that will happen, because you’re using the Hammerburst! As you close in on your target, throw a few hip shots if possible. You don’t want to be firing if you can just smack them with your gun, so pay attention to your distance. After you’ve landed your melee, there are two options you can take to get the down: 1. Hit them again! Two melee’s will down an enemy. In Gears 2 you have the ability to pull off a double melee, however the game isn’t perfect; it IS possible to swing through your enemy, dealing no damage, and wasting a full second. Be careful. If you have a rough angle, or you’ve noticed a slight lag in the game, your best choice is to go with option 2. After the hit, it takes about 2-4 shots to down an enemy, depending on where your bullets land. (If you’re firing from the hip, tilt the camera so you’re aiming more towards his legs, he’ll take more damage there than he would from body shots) It takes me anywhere from .15 to .30 seconds to squeeze these shots off and get the down, and yes I’ve timed it, but I needed solid information to finally write this thing. Best of all, granted your enemy hasn’t been downed twice already, you get a meatshield woo! Plus the added points for an execution.

Cover-to-Cover: Imagine the following scenario; you and a locust are duking it out in the last 30 seconds of Sudden Death. The two of you are positioned in cover across from each other with an open space between you, so going for the melee would be suicide. Now, this exact situation might not happen every game (I only find myself in a sudden death bullet showdown like once every 20 matches) but you will OFTEN be firing from cover to enemies in cover when using the Hammerburst. The majority of your kills will be from this position, and it takes practice to consistently get the down.
There’s a few variables that will affect how easy the kill is. If it’s 1v1, it comes down to raw skill. 2v1 scenarios can be great or terrible, depending which side you’re on, and it’s not what you think. To excel in any competition, whether it’s football, video games, or chess (especially chess) you HAVE to get into the head of your competitor. If you have a teammate, your enemy is going to be pressured, and will spend more time in cover than firing, and may even retreat. If you’re up against two enemies, they both know it’s 2v1, and they’ll be a little more aggressive with their attacks. Getting inside your enemies’ head and predicting their actions isn’t something I can tell you how to do. It takes practice, and extreme observation.

Alright, let’s get to the killing. First, you’ll want to throw out a few blindfire shots to get rid of some ammo. Don’t do too many though, there’s nothing worse than being forced to reload at a horrible time. When he pops up to shoot at you, fire off THREE, NONACTIVE shots, and make sure they all land. Why do this? With the addition of stopping power in GoW2, you take more damage per bullet as each shot lands on you. It’s not much, but it’s important. (This isn’t the only effect of stopping power. What most players know it as is, you guessed it, stopping people. Firing at a running enemy will slow them down considerably depending on your position and weapon. Hit them from the back with the Mulcher, for example, and you’ll stop them dead on the spot.)
The reason three shots is so important here is because the visibility of the skulled Gear that shows as you take damage. At three shots, it is barely noticeable, but at four, it jumps up a notch, and may scare your enemy down into cover to regain his health. Now, you should have expended about half your clip by now if you used the blindfires. Grab an active reload and mount back up (or around, if you’re on a wall) zoom in as soon as you’re up, and start firing. With a little practice you will be able to start almost immediately after you finish your active reload. It shouldn’t take much longer than .75 seconds depending on lag and how many shots you’re able to land before you down him. If you’re able to put the last bullet in his face, you’ll grab the kill immediately without downing him, (unfortunately there is no exploding head animation [angry01.gif] ) which is important if you’re up against two enemies.

----------------

That’s all the information I can give, the rest requires quick thinking and good decision making on your part. Good luck, and enjoy the tactical side of Gears 2! For some more general info on this weapon, check out the page over at http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/

~Unromantic

Last edited by Unromantic on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Using and understanding the Hammerburst
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:42 am 
COG Gunnery Sergeant
COG Gunnery Sergeant

That is an awesome guide dude. I've been using the lancer for fear of lag (in which case the hammerburst is useless) and in those laggy games you kinda have to chainsaw. The guide explains a lot and I plan on trying to use some of those strategies.

Oh and i liked the I-WIN button comment it was pretty nice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:07 am 

Goldstopper wrote:
That is an awesome guide dude. I've been using the lancer for fear of lag (in which case the hammerburst is useless) and in those laggy games you kinda have to chainsaw. The guide explains a lot and I plan on trying to use some of those strategies.

Oh and i liked the I-WIN button comment it was pretty nice.

You are absolutely 100% right, lag is a MAJOR problem in MP right now. Almost all of the gameplay issues people seem to be having are related to lag, even if you aren't noticing a high latency in your connection (such as the Lancer not being lowered properly on taking damage - set up a local match and see if that still happens) but I can't imagine Epic will leave it at it's current state.

And hey thanks for reading it [biggrin.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:19 pm 

Great guide.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:57 pm 
COG Sergeant Major
COG Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

excellent guide. [turned.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 pm 
COG Master Sgt, First Sgt
COG Master Sgt, First Sgt
 WWW  Profile

That was an excellent guide. I am definitely going to consider using some of your techniques. I agree the Hammerburst is a phenomenal weapon. I would use this gun but I have one single drawback. I want it golden. Looks are extremely important to me and I find it imperative that I have it golden...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:02 pm 
COG Lieutenant
COG Lieutenant

im just not a hammerburst fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm 

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Dharmax wrote:
That was an excellent guide. I am definitely going to consider using some of your techniques. I agree the Hammerburst is a phenomenal weapon. I would use this gun but I have one single drawback. I want it golden. Looks are extremely important to me and I find it imperative that I have it golden...

When I first started playing I wasn't even aware that there WAS a code for a gold Hammerburst. After my brother told me you got them at the midnight release, I had a code from ebay in the next ten minutes.

Man that thing is sweet, never play without it [biggrin.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:17 am 

Unromantic wrote:
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Dharmax wrote:

When I first started playing I wasn't even aware that there WAS a code for a gold Hammerburst. After my brother told me you got them at the midnight release, I had a code from ebay in the next ten minutes.

Man that thing is sweet, never play without it [biggrin.gif]

The time I use the hammerburst the most is during horde. [bleh.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 pm 
COG Lieutenant
COG Lieutenant

i never used it in horde. pretty much the shotty, flame thrower, and mulcher

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next